The Waihi Beach Lifeguard Services Inc is situated at the northern end of Waihi Beach. The original Waihi Beach Surf Life Saving Club was founded in 1935 and was situated further to the left than the current building. The Club was run by a small group of locals trying to make our beach a safer place for their families and friends.
The Club membership grew over time and a new building became necessary to operate from and store equipment. This new building, the one we currently operate from, was opened in 1971. Membership continued to grow and in 1986 additions were made to include a wing of accommodation for women and a better tower to patrol from, with more renovations completed between 2002 and 2007. Despite the wars and times of economic hardship, the service has continually operated throughout the last 8 decades.